The purpose of IDEA is the advancement of education by encouraging and supporting excellence in interior design/interior architecture education and research within Australasia; and being the regional authority on, and advocate for interior design/interior architecture education and research.
- to be an advocate for undergraduate and postgraduate programs at a university level that provide a minimum 4 years education in interior design/interior architecture;
- to support the rich diversity of individual programs within the higher education sector;
- to create collaboration between programs in the higher education sector;
- to foster an attitude of lifelong learning;
- to encourage staff and student exchange between programs;
- to provide recognition for excellence in the advancement of interior design/interior architecture education;
- to foster, publish and disseminate peer reviewed interior design/interior architecture research.